Friday, April 12, 2013

US rapper samples Terror Fabulous song

We The Best/Young Money-signed rapper Vado has sampled the lyrics of veteran dancehall artiste Terror Fabulous in his latest single called Gangsta.

The song also features internationally acclaimed dancehall artiste Mavado and We The Best/Young Money records label mate Ace Hood.Gangsta borrows the chorus from Terror Fabulous' Gangster's Anthem, a song which was written by Dave Kelly and Terror Fabulous back in the early '90s and released under Mad House/US- based record label, East West Records.

Gangster's Anthem is one of Terror's more popular singles and is a common selection used by DJs in sound clashes. Terror Fabulous has not been very active in the music industry since the start of the new millennium due to challenges with his health. However, the veteran deejay, who is often compared to Buju Banton, says he is quite proud that his song was sampled despite being made aware of it at the last minute.

"I only know about it since about three days ago, but mi love it because it keep my music alive that way. Mi love the remix, and any money mi mek mi give thanks," he said. According to Terror Fabulous, he wants to go through the right channels to reap the benefits of the sample, even if it means communicating with his former producer Dave Kelly, with whom he has not worked for a long time.

I am going to make sure that I get a good profit from it. A mi and Dave Kelly write di song, and I don't see him for some time now because he is a busy man. Mi just a try sort out back mi papers so I can fly out and duh mi shows, them because I am getting shows but I can't really travel as much, but I get dub plates, though," he said. The artiste also took the opportunity to clear up misconceptions about Gangster's Anthem, which some critics have described as a song glorifying violence.

"The song talk about gun, but a God mi deal wid because wi nah seek fi hurt no one. If yuh notice my video from the '90s, you will see me with my hands in the air and I am dancing. So it's really a song about enjoying yourself," Terror Fabulous said.

Veteran recording artiste Super Beagle, who operates as a representative for Terror Fabulous. According to the artiste, Terror Fabulous is currently unable to collect his royalties and publishing because he has misplaced most of his important identification documents.

"The next step is to get his IDs sorted out so that he can start collecting his publishing and royalties for his work because he lost his IDs some time ago. I am also going to try and make contact with Dave Kelly on his behalf. He (Terror) is not signed to me, but I am helping him out as a friend, and we have been good friends for a long time," Super Beagle said.

Terror Fabulous is currently mourning the loss of his mother, who died last week. Super Beagle, on the other hand, is looking forward to receiving money from publishing rights after his song, Dust a Sound Boy, was sampled by Kanye West last year.

Gangstas was premiered on international hip hop website Worldstarhiphop.com and received over four million views in just eight days.