Thursday, April 18, 2013

Protoje speaks on Why Art Is Power

Protoje exemplifies this new-found energy with lyrical prowess. The country is literally overflowing with fresh talent like Jah9, Kabaka Pyramid, Five Steez, Chronixx, No-Maddz, Raging Fyah, Roots Underground, to name just a few, and even the Jamaican government is paying attention, holding their own reggae-fest at Arts in the Gardens.

What's exciting about the revival is that it's not just about music; it's about a mission. It's a current of energy that's bringing Jamaicans together with messages synonymous with reggae roots: love, unity, protest.

See Also: Conscious artistes triggers 'Reggae Revival' book

Che Kothari had the opportunity to spend time with Protoje at his home in Kingston and recorded an acoustic version of his now classic song "JA" from his debut album The 7 Year Itch. It was the first time we'd actually collaborated, and I hoped to capture his transparent, thoughtful voice.

Protoje Exclusive Performance from themanifesto.ca

Protoje spoke about how he became interested in the arts:

"I became involved in the arts through my love of music and have always found the arts intriguing. I have a deep appreciation for dance, visual arts and just creative energy in general. Once I started to write lyrics, all I could think about was performing on stage. I got involved with the live music scene, which made my involvement with the other art forms more accessible. Art has changed my life profoundly because art has given me a way to communicate my thoughts and my feelings. Your ability to express is not something to be taking lightly. When I am inspired to say something, I always try to listen back and see the messages in there for me."


The message Protoje and his fellow revivalists are speaking is circular. For example, his new video for "I&I" is live footage of a protest walk. The walk was created in order to make the video, but became a genuine act of civil disobedience - he purposely designed his art into an act that would involve the community at large. During rush hour traffic a group of young 'revivalists' and their supporters marched peacefully through the streets of Kingston, handing out flyers and making their way to some of the most important sites in the city. Artists, filmmakers, photographers, musicians, all came out to make this happen. That kind of collaboration and revolutionary spirit are the trademarks of what's going on in the revival -- the act of protest itself made into art, and the art being fed by the act of unity.

This is the power of art in action. Protoje says:

"Art has the ability to inspire thought, it speaks to a different part of our consciousness and allows our imagination to expand. The fact that someone is able to create something that pierces through your very soul and allows you to look within yourself and make changes to the life you are leading lets me know that ART IS POWER."

Source